Pest Control Supervisor Position – Pauma Valley
T-Y Nursery, a family owned wholesale ornamental production nursery with facilities in Pauma Valley, Escondido, Trabuco Canyon and Torrance California, is looking for a particular individual who can supervise all aspects of pest control operations for the company at the Pauma Valley facilities. This includes supervision not only of the technical, regulatory and employee management components but also the integration of the department’s activities into the company’s goals and expectations for safety, quality and profitability.
- Assure State and Federal regulatory compliance at all times.
- Prepare daily work orders* for pest control crews.
- Assure safe, timely and effect treatments.
- Assure that all safety and application equipment is maintained.
- Maintain accurate and adequate pesticide inventories at all times.
- Provide training as per State, Federal and company requirements.
- Maintain all records and provide required reporting accurately and on time.
- Develop and maintain pest management strategies.
- Integrate pest control activities with production and sales operations to provide customers with a superior product and realization of company goals and expectations.
- Comprehension of ornamental horticultural principals and production nursery operations.
- Maintain compliance with all State and Federal quarantine regulations.
- Be a technical resource for the company.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all regulators and agencies.
- Stay abreast of new technologies, methodologies and products as well as pending regulatory changes.
The ideal candidate would have a bachelor’s degree in Pest Management, Entomology, Ornamental Horticulture or similar related degree. An associate’s degree along with work experience in this area will be considered.
Must have or be able to obtain (at a minimum) a State Qualified Applicators License. A State Pest Control Advisors License is preferred. Be able to obtain Private Applicators License/permits for the Pauma Valley facility (San Diego County). Candidate must be absolutely competent in California pesticide regulations and attendant requirements. This is the foundation on which all of the listed job duties are based. At some point the Pest Control Supervisor will be expected to write all pesticide recommendations (application work orders) and to report all pesticide usage as required by law.
Experience working in a production nursery is preferred. Management training and/or related “people skills’ training is a plus. Ability to speak Spanish is a big plus.
Knowledge of safety and pesticide application equipment calibration and maintenance is required.
Candidate must know and understand principals of pest management and be able to develop pest management strategies/plans.
Candidate will need to demonstrate leadership and ability to manage employees in accordance with not only pesticide regulations but all other state, federal and company rules and regulations.
This position may require varied working hours and is subject to seasonal adjustments. This position generally requires 50+ hours per week. Compensation is based on qualifications (Education and experience)
T-Y Nursery has been in business for 48 years and offers its’ employees the following benefits:
- Medical : estimated to start Jan 2015
- Vacation: Two weeks after the first year
- Discretionary bonus at year end